Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cranberry Pomegranate Green Tea, and another day off...

The bleak, cloud-filled sky is showing no signs of leaving any time soon, and I am quite alright with that. In fact, I prefer that right now. What better excuse to sleep in on your day off, and have a morning/noon filled with nothing but hot tea, a late breakfast (eggs and fruit-yummy), and updating the world on my life in the Midwest.
Sunday after church we had a baptism and potluck. On the land right outside the church we filled a huge feeding trough with water, and used it for the baptism. One of my friends that I have grown up with got baptized, rededicating his outward commitment to live for Christ. There were also a few kids that got baptized, but instead of our pastor baptizing them, their fathers did. It brought me back to when I was a small girl of 5 or 6 years old, getting baptized by my dad at a campground pool in the country. It was neat to think about these fathers-they are several years older than I, but not by many. They have taught their kids what it is to become a Christian, and what it means to make that public declaration. In a world when the meaning of family is deteriorating, parenting is getting your kids to the nanny on time, and children are considered more of a burden than a blessing from God, it was very encouraging to see parents who have taught their what the Christian life is and how it is lived out.
This past week I have noticed more and more how much our God is into beauty. Creation all around us screams of His creativity: a rich pink and orange sun rise that fades into layers, like a poured drink; the seeds of a dandelion blown about into miniature tornados; the laughter of close friends enjoying each other's company. Each of these are things that are not absolutely necessary for life, but God created them for our pleasure. It is His gift to us, evidence of His intense love for His children. More incredible every time I think about it.
This Tuesday is almost my -I have had my three days off, and tomorrow it is back to work, bright and early. I get to enjoy yet another breath taking sunrise, meet new faces, and enjoy my friends. It will be a good day.

"This is Love when I give my heart to everyone but you,
This is Love when I have turned my back away from you,
This is Love when I have left you for the selfish things I do,
This is Love that you would still love me,
In spite of me."
-The Autumn Film

No comments: